Monday, July 9, 2007

Stronger Loonie = Cheaper Wine

A few weeks ago, I posted a comment about how Canadians are getting ripped off thanks to our strong Canadian dollar. Well, today I ran across an interesting news story stating that the cost of some wines is set to drop in Quebec as the province's liquor board (the SAQ) adjusts its standard exchange rate used to buy wholesale European exports. The liquor board will adjust retail prices on affected products starting July 25th.

According to the article, "The Euro's value has dropped by 9.7 per cent against the Canadian dollar in recent months" so it will be interesting how much of those savings will be passed onto the consumer.

I'm not much of a drinker but I thought I'd pass along the news for those of you who live in Quebec or close enough to make the trip over to 'la belle province' for some potentially cheaper wine.

No comments: